I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Monday, May 20, 2013

Life Struggles

Free Clipart

This is today’s writing prompt. What are you struggling with now? For me, this has to be moving. Relocating is a big issue in my book. Not only is the place up in the air because we can’t agree on anything, but once we do, it involves an exploratory mission to check it out first to see if the location is even feasible. If it turns out it is, then packing is another issue altogether. I have been here for ten years and I still haven’t recovered from the last move. It would be lovely to settle somewhere and not have to uproot myself again in the future. Traveling is something different, moving is a completely different kettle of fish.


We were in out last place twenty-five years. I would probably still be there except it was really too small for two people and several cats. I had to pack everything myself once we threw away, donated, and sold the things that weren’t making the trip. This was grueling. I was so warn out by the time we got on the road for the six-and-a-half-hour trek across the desert that I had to stop for coffee several times. I actually ran over a curb at one point and didn’t even know it. I started falling asleep once the cats quit yowling. I had one in the front seat and two in the back with me. My husband was following with the other two in his truck. Moving does a number on me, but there were also some emotional issues involved with that move.

Once we got to the new place, the furniture wasn’t arriving for a week, so we had essentials with us in the vehicles. I slept on the floor that night and half of the next day. I was so out of it, I didn’t even hear the workers outside finishing the yard.

Moving can be an adventure and the excitement of a new place and places to explore, but it is also a lot of backbreaking work and a terrible task I don’t look forward to.

If you want to participate in this May Challenge, please click here:
Story of My Life: Blog every day in May: a challenge

2 comments:

  1. I moved 4 times in three years a while ago. It was so my husband could take advantage of a great job opportunity. First move: to a rental. Second move: six months later because the landlords put the house up for sale. Third move: to another state and city because the job, while a good stepping stone, didn't prove to be a long-term thing. Final move: a lay-off. We're back where we started and am I glad. I don't want to move again for many years. I totally understand what you're saying about the work and exhaustion. I did enjoy the adventure, a change of pace, making new friends, exploring new places. Good luck with your decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jagoda,

      Thanks for reading and leaving your comments. I was out of the state for a few days and just got back, so I'm late in leaving a reply.

      While I agree a new place is an adventure, I'm not so sure all the work to move is worth it.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni