I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Friday, April 5, 2013

I Have Email Overload

Free Clipart

Boy do I get a lot of that! I don’t know about any of you, but I am a terrible offender about emailing myself links that I just don’t have time to read right now. Sometimes I wish I didn’t have to rush through things all the time because life sure would be easier, but then I probably would not accomplish much each day either. I guess some of these things can be a double-edged sword.


I love all the new technology we have these days. I can’t imagine the world without the internet and email. And to think that only a few years ago, I thought the fax machine was such a marvelous invention. I guess that is really showing my age.

Today you can find out anything about anything on the internet. Sometimes I wonder who had all the time to type up all that stuff. Keeping in touch has never been easier either. With email, the recipient gets it instantly, not like a letter that may take a week to arrive. Then they can answer you in their own time, making it convenient for everybody and better than picking up the phone sometimes.

I spend hours every day at my computer because writing books takes a lot of time. It is so nice to know if I have to search for a fact; it is right at my fingertips, just a click or two away. The only problem with this is I usually find myself sidetracked by other info I want to read, and I really wasn’t looking for just then. So hence, more email to me from me. Having 4500 emails in my inbox, at any given time, is a common thing for me. However, this presents another daunting task. I have no extra time to go through them, yet I can’t break myself from this habit. Maybe there is a “Computer-a-holics Anonymous,” with an email division that I can join.

I am excited to see where we are in twenty years. Of course, by then maybe I’ll be too old to care, but technology is exciting.

10 comments:

  1. I love cats too and like your blog. I've become a follower. ;) http:\\jeanettesandersen.blogspot.com and hopefully next time you see my blog the pictures will show up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannette,

    Thanks for reading, commenting, and following. I didnt know you were doing the challenge. I am working my way down that list, but I'll never make it to all the blogs on there.

    I will check out your other posts for the challenge tomorrow.

    Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  3. The internet and online access is just great! Have you tried Evernote or Readability to clip those stories you want to read later? Or Diigo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pauleen,

    All great suggestions. I'll have to look into that. Mailing links to myself is an awful habit I've gotten into, but there are things that I run across that I want to read later, instead of just skipping through it quickly.

    Thanks for coming by and giving me those suggestions.

    Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  5. I email myself all the time! I sent myself a middle of the night email last week. And glared at my phone when the message alarm went off "WHO IS TEXTING ME IN THE MIDDLE of the NIGHT?!?!"
    Duh.......
    Thank you for stopping by, I'm returning the visit.
    Connie
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Connie,

    Thanks for stopping by. That is really funny! I thought I was the only one. It sounds like you're as bad as I am and somehow that makes me feel better.

    Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have way too much email. I need to go through it someday. :)

    From A to Z, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen,

    I am so glad I'm not the only one with this problem. The situation is getting the time to go through all the email when life is going on. It is difficult for me, and usually the email just mounts up.

    Thank you for reading and commenting.

    Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you thought about bookmarking the things you want to read? Or unsubscribing from some of the lists you may be on? Perhaps installing Rappaport to see past communications? Maybe creating folders within your email to file them for future use or reference? Using folders to bookmark webpages and folders for emails helps me a lot. I have also created a Facebook page where I post links for myself and other writers...
    I hope some of these suggestions help! Take ONE DAY to get yourself organized. You will love yourself for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine,

      Thanks for all your suggestions. I have never heard of rappaport. I do have folders for email and I've organized some folders in my favorites list, but all that is full, so I can't bookmark anything new unless I get rid of something.

      It will take a lot LONGER than ONE DAY to organize all this stuff, believe me. I do spend some time on it now and then. I can never spend as much time at once as I would like to because I have other stuff to do around here. I have to work in my organizing between all the other stuff.

      Eventually I may get it all done, but not sure when that will be.

      Thank you for stopping by.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni