I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Determination is the Only Way to Achieve Things

Free Clipart

To me, this is an important quality. You can never achieve or accomplish anything without it. I am not just talking about writing either. It takes determination to do everything in life. This can mean cooking, playing sports, painting, taking photographs, or about anything that may take you out of your comfort level, in the beginning.

Cooking - Public Domain Photo



Swimming

Without sheer will, and especially if you are shy, you will never be able to scale that cliff, jump into the deep end of the pool, paint a landscape if you’ve never painted one, or try out that new recipe.


Photo from Elyse C33 At Flickr


Rock Climbing - Free clipart

 
Of course, along with determination, a bit of common sense should prevail along with a strong desire. I would never jump into the deep end of swimming pool knowing I can’t swim, or go off hiking and rock climbing out in the wilderness without survival gear and a guide who’s been there before. It doesn’t matter how much I want to do these things. Sometimes it takes a bit more preparation to get ready when it can be something dangerous, or life threatening.


Painting- Public Domain Photo

Thank goodness, this doesn’t really apply when writing, drawing, painting, photographing, cooking, gardening, or any other number of things that don’t fall into the dangerous category. What is the worst thing that can happen here, if you don’t succeed? You try to salvage it, or throw it away and start over. Still, you will learn something because you tried. Your life isn’t at stake doing any of these things and failing a time or two is not going to kill you, unless you leave raw food on the kitchen counter too long.

Fishing

We learn by doing and sometimes it is in our best interests to push beyond our limits in order to grow. Who really cares if we are not the “best” in the beginning? To become the best, we have to do it repeatedly. The best chefs in the world didn’t wake up one day and go into the kitchen and from that day forward everything was perfect. The same goes for all of these things. We all start out the same and have to hone our craft with desire and determination, whatever that may be.

The next time you are inspired to do something new, remember that you will never get anywhere if you never try. Don’t let a little constructive criticism stand in your way ever.



11 comments:

  1. Hello, my friend. Good post. I enjoyed it tremendously. Best regards to you. Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hu Grammy,

      Thank you so much. I'm glad you liked it.

      And thanks for reading and commenting. I'll check out your site.

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on Sunni, or should that be 'write' on! Of course I agree with you on this - I know we have similar attitudes towards our challenges. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirlene,

      Thanks you for dropping by and commenting. I think we do have simiar attitudes toward our challenges.

      Sunni

      Delete
  4. Determination! That's the way to get through the A to Z challenge as well. Thanks for reminding us of an important life skill.

    madhaus from Burbed
    today's D: http://www.burbed.com/2013/04/04/day-deal-in-danville-dollar-deluge-for-doing-diddlysquat/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madhaus,

      Thanks for stopping and reading. You bet it takes determination to finish the A to Z, or to even attempt it to start with.

      Determination is really very important in life.

      I'll check out your site.

      Sunni

      Delete
  5. You and I must be on similar wavelengths as my 'd' word was dedication which is a close cousin to determination. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jagoda,

      Thanks for coming by. I was thinking the exact thing about this A to Z so far. Some people have used almost the same words.

      Sunni

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post! I have yet to hurt myself writing, but I'm not convinced it isn't possible. ;) Also, adorable cats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi,

      Thank you so much for coming by, commenting, and following. I am following you too. It looks like you have lots to share about writing. I want to explore you blog when I have more time.

      I love cats, so naturally there are posts here about them too, but only one for the A to Z challenge.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni