I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Everyone Needs a Hobby

Public Domain Photo

Where do I even start here? I have way too many. However, having a hobby is a good thing – especially after you’re retired. You shouldn’t just sit around.


Definition of  hob-by:

An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

I think my husband thinks my whole life is a hobby because I don’t sit still very often, finding myself involved in some ongoing project.

Writing - Public Domain Photo


Reading - Public Domain Photo

If it’s not writing or reading, it will be crafting or sewing. There are too many things to partake of in this lifetime, so I’d better live to be at least 100. I know I will never get to everything on my list. My problem is I have too many ideas. Keeping an active mind is an important thing, and just as important as physical exercise.


Crafting or Sewing - Public Domain Photo

I am always on a quest for learning something that I don’t know, so I will undertake about anything. Learning is part of the fun that goes into the whole project. I can’t see anything ever becoming dull because I will never know all there is to know about everything. Part of the reason I keep writing and creating something is the learning involved. I love to make something from nothing. It is exciting to see a project taking shape before your very eyes, and then seeing it finished, such a sense of accomplishment after I have beat my head on the wall a few times in the process.


Photography - Public Domain Photo

Hiking - Public Domain Photo

I think everyone should have a passion in life. Whatever yours is, pursue it and don’t ever think it is too much. You can’t do it because you are the master of your dreams.



16 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly with your post. What's the point of life if there is no passion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L,

      Exactly right. Everyone needs a passion for something.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I wish you would have left your link, so I can check out your site.

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. You and I have very similar outlooks on this idea.

    I have a number of ongoing active hobbies like blogging and reading for example. I also have many closet hobbies, or hobbies that I have been active at in the past and are stored in my closet like my stamp collection or music recording. I hope to get back to these some time in the future.

    I love learning about new things.

    Lee
    A Faraway View
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee,

      Boy, we must really think alike about this stuff. I am always interested in learning new things too and always have been. You are never too old to learn, or dabble in something new.

      I have lots of stuff stored as well that I have dabbled in, in the past. I have made glass beads using a torch, so that is stored along with all my tie dye supplies. I also used to paint, so I have all that stuff too. I love to sew when I have the extra time, so I have all the supplies for that as well.

      These days I am mainly into reading and writing, so my husband thinks I need to clean house and get rid of all this stuff. I am not ready to do that because, as you say, I may get back to it one day. My problem is having too many interests and not enough time. His problem is having no passions for anything, except maybe photography, but he is too much of a perfectionist to pursue it, even though his pictures are amazing.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Sunni

      Delete
  3. I have a lot of hobbies and I never get bored! Great post and great H word:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tayla,

      Thank you for stopping by and commenting. I never get bored either.

      I'll check out your site now.

      Sunni

      Delete
  4. I so agree that an active mind is as important as physical exercise. I too have many more hobbies than I have time for. I've learned to enjoy them when I can, even in small bursts. Writing (I hope won't always be a hobby if I ever publish and make a little money), reading, gardening, collage-ing, beach combing, hiking are a few of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jagoda,

      It is real important to keep the mind as active as your body. Writing a lot helps that, thanks to this challenge.

      I hope you publish something someday. Never give up.

      Sunni

      Delete
  5. Funny Sunni, my blog today is along very similar lines - about one of my 'hobbies' - great minds and all that? It's really all about continuous learning I think, and balancing our activities between mind, body, spirit kind of thing. I think people grow old rather quickly when they have no passion for anything, and I'm not talking chronological age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shurlene,

      I agree with you. And that is funny about using the same subject for today. Great minds, LOL. My sisters and I always laugh about that when we are thinking the same thing.

      I haven't been by your blog yet today. The way things are going, it may be tomorrow, but I want to read your hobby post. I wasn't able to get on here this afternoon much.

      Thanks for reading.

      Sunni

      Delete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I so love this post! I want to have more time to do all of these things that I love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate,

      You and me both. There is never enough time, is there?

      Thank you for checking out my blog. I'll visit yours again.

      Sunni

      Delete
  7. I wish I had more time for my hobbies, because I love them! :)

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen,

      I could do hobbies all day every day, but then I would feel guilty about not getting anything else done that needs doing.

      Thanks for reading and posting. I'll be by your blog again. I want to read more of your posts.

      Sunni

      Delete
  8. My human couldn't agree with you more!
    Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Texas Cat,

    Thanks for visiting. I bet you help your human out, if you can, don't you?

    Sunni

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni