I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Friday, April 22, 2016

S is for Scuttlebutt and Scallywag



Scuttlebutt, now where exactly did this word come from?



In the 1800’s, scuttlebutt was the name given to the fresh water supply aboard a ship.  The water cask had a hole cut in it for the dipper or cup to ladle the water out (called a skuttle).  The butt means barrel, which is the same as cask of water. 

Sailors gathered around the water supply to talk about the goings on of the day.  Today, mainly in the US, this is slang for the latest rumors and gossip.  People gather around the water cooler at work to get the latest scuttlebutt

Now, what about scallywag?




The dictionary says this is usually a child who behaves badly.  However, a scallywag can also be an undersized, scraggy and ill-fed animal of little value.  No one knows which came first: “a mean man” or “a worthless animal.”

The word scallywag did crop up in medieval times with several different types of spelling depending on the region.  But the word was first used in western New York in the US.  It’s unclear what country of immigrants brought the word to America.

Back after the Civil War the word swept across the country to mean native white, southern Republicans who gained during reconstruction.  As a result, scallywags couldn’t be confused with carpetbaggers, northern men who came south after the war for economic, political and other reasons.

Later the word shifted to mean any politician that was corrupt, but has softened somewhat today.

Scally is widely used in north-west England, especially around Liverpool, to describe a young person, usually male, who is boisterous, disruptive and irresponsible.  Usually the “lovable rogue” was less than honest, but their crimes were minor and lacked malice.

Today scallywag means “charming scoundrel,” “scamp,” or “rascal” often used by admiring, doting mothers to describe a mischievous child.


So, there you are.  Have you taken part in any scuttlebutt or called someone a scallywag?

6 comments:

  1. Of course I've taken part in scuttlebutt in my days when I worked in an office :) Some of it though I have to say I probably wouldn't take part in these days as I've grown with wisdom :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee...hee...Betty, I agree.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. So, gossiping around the water cooler is older than water coolers. Makes scuttlebutt around the water cooler a redundant phrase...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz,

      Yes, scuttlebutt is older than water coolers. Kind of funny, huh? I guess it was the water keg in the old days, LOL

      Thanks for leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  3. The history of words that we take for granted every day is always fun. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,

      Yes, I love learning something new. It was fun doing this research.

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni