I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

N is for Naan Bread





Lately I’ve really become a fan of Naan bread (pronounced Non) and buy it all the time at Costco.  It's very cheap (18 pieces for $4.99.)  These are like mini-pitas.  This bread's particularly good with Indian food, but goes with everything.  I found this recipe for it on Pinterest and want to try it when I have time.  It sounds easy.  And how can you go wrong when there’s only four ingredients?  That’s my kind of recipe.



Ingredients:

4 cups of flour
4 cups of plain yogurt
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt

Directions:

Stir together dry ingredients.  Blend in the yogurt until the mixture forms a soft dough.  Add more flour if necessary.

Knead for five minutes

Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a towel.  Let rest an hour or longer (you can leave it overnight if you wish)

Take the dough out and cut into ten equal pieces.  Form into a ball and flatten into a disc.

Heat a griddle over medium heat and also heat your broiler to high.
One at a time, cook each disc for 4-5 minutes and browned on the bottom.  When it starts to puff up take a spatula and move the naan to the top rack of oven under the broiler.  Let cook 1-2 minutes, or until nicely browned and puffy.

If desired, you can brush top with butter.

This recipe makes 10 pieces of bread.  When cooled store in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator.

Prep time approx 10 minutes

Cook time approx 30 minutes

19 comments:

  1. That sounds so good! I would like to make some and try it with hummus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,

      I want to try this recipe too. I buy Naan bread at Costco and am always eating it. I love it. This one sounds so simple to make. Let me know how it turns out if you tackle this.

      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. This recipe is awfully close to tortillas. That one you have flour, bp, shortening and water. The dough doesn't rise though. You form it into the discs automatically and put on a griddle. My life friend's mother in Texas could make them within minutes.
    http://enchantedfantasies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thea,

      Naan brad is very similar to a tortilla but it's thicker. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  3. Looks like it would make a decent Navajo Taco! Not as thick as Indian Fry Bread, but probably WAY fewer calories! :D

    Calen~
    Impromptu Promptlings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CDMC,

      I would think this would have fewer calories than a lot of things. I also think it could be used in a lot of recipes.

      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  4. That looks really good, thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pilch,

      I think this would be very good and easy to make. If you try it let me know how it turned out.

      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. I love Naan bread! I eat it with hummus. Yum!

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele,

      I love Naan bread too and eat it with everything.

      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  6. I'll have to look for this the next time we are at Costco; looks delicious!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty,

      It's a bread they keep in the coolers, so when you get it home you need to refrigerate it.

      It's in a brown package and you get 18 slices for about $4.99. It's very good and can be toasted in your toaster.

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  7. I've had Naan bread a few times. Thanks for sharing https://mhsusannematthews.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanne,

      You're welcome and thanks for visiting me during the A to Z. I'll get over and check your blog out.

      Sunni

      Delete
  8. Wow! That is an easy recipe. I thought it would be more complicated to make naan bread, which I love. Thanks for sharing! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vashti,

      Thanks for the pin. I'm always happy to share something I think others may like. This recipe is too simple. I thought it would be much more complicated too.

      Sunni

      Delete
  9. Sounds easy enough. Probably takes some practice, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz,

      I think shaping it and baking just right would take practice. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni