I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

R is for Rust



We went on a hiking outing a few years ago with some friends that were part of a camera class we were taking.  The whole idea was to photograph the wildflowers blooming in the desert, but we ended up taking pictures of rust too once we arrived at our destination and found several rusted out buses along the route.




The drive itself was about 75-miles of dirt road full of ruts and rocks, some of which were big ones.  We were glad we didn’t drive our own vehicle.  There were several times I thought we’d be stuck out in the middle of nowhere in the Nevada desert, but somehow we continued.




Flower side of hill

 

 Barren side of hill
 
The flowers were a reward on a hot dry day.  I have to post a couple of those too even though this post is about rust.  What was very strange was that one side of the hill was a carpet of flowers and the other side across the dirt road was barren.

Okay, let’s get back to my topic, rust.  Have you ever noticed how pretty rust can be when it’s on things like this?  It’s very interesting.  What makes things rust in such a manner?  There are definitely many colors here.





After this trip, I started notice things around town with rust on them.


Do adventures like this raise your awareness?

4 comments:

  1. That would have been an adventure. I'm not sure I would have lasted that many miles on a road like that! Such pretty pictures of the rust and also of the flowers :)

    Yep, adventures like this do raise my awareness. I'm always enjoying learning and seeing something new.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty,

      When we started out that morning, we had no idea what we were in for, believe me. I'm not sure we would have gone if we knew, but we sure would have missed some lovely flowers. And of course seeing what happens when things exposed to the elements rust.

      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. Rust is a pretty color. Who knew oxidation could create beauty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz,

      Yes, that was quite amazing and we spent an hour or two taking pictures of rust on various abandoned objects.

      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni