I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Friday, April 15, 2016

M is for Mellissani Cave



Oh my, this is one gorgeous place!  Located in Kefalonia Greece, the top of this cave is surrounded by forest.  In Greek mythology the cave is known as the Cave of the Nymphs.



 Oh my!  Beautiful!
 
The site of this cave is a short trip from Sami or Agia Efimia.  There’s a boatman at the cave to give tours.

The first exploration of this lake was in 1951.  An old lantern was found that now has a home in the Archeological Museum of Argostoli.  Other excavations in 1962 found plates, figurines and oil lamps.

Isn't this gorgeous?

This impressive natural wonder is one of the main attractions on this beautiful resort island.  The cave has two large halls with an island in the middle.  One of the halls is open to the sky and lets in sunlight that shows off the crystal clear water.  The lake water is brackish (a mixture of salt and fresh water.) 

The lake is 1640 feet from the coast and a little over three feet above sea level.  It isn’t level though so the water does circulate to the coast.



 Don't you just want to see this place right now?
 
The second part of the cave has a roof with stalagmites and stalactites and is navigated using a rope to pull the tour boat through a narrow channel.


Please click here for more information.

10 comments:

  1. It does look beautiful! Would be fun to see it in person (but doubt I'll get there, so thanks for sharing it here:)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty,

      I'll probably never get there either, but at least we can share these beautiful places over the internet.

      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. This looks absolutely stunning. I do hope to see it some day. Thanks for sharing. Love your cats btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalpanaa,

      Thanks for visiting me during the A to Z. And thank you on the cats. They are great companions.

      I'd like to see this place too, but it's unlikely I will. But we can go on many adventures through the internet.

      Thanks for leaving a comment.
      Sunni

      Delete
  3. How beautiful! The pictures are stunning!
    http://enchantedfantasies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thea,

      I'm glad you liked this. I think we were visiting each other's blogs at the same time.

      Sunni

      Delete
  4. Those pictures are amazing. They must have been enhanced. Nothing is really that color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz,

      I don't know if they were enhanced or not but they sure are beautiful.

      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, this place is beautiful - I have just added it to my bucket list :)
    Suzannes Tribe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne,

      I know. I think it would really be something to see if you can swing it.

      Thanks for visiting during the A to Z.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni