I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

E is for Estuary



Somehow this word has always held some mystique for me.  The dictionary defines the meaning as: the part of a river or other area of water where it joins the sea, and where fresh and salt water are mixed.

The word estuary dates back to the mid-sixteenth century in England.




As a writer, I can see all sorts of scenarios to use this word.  I see it in my mind as more of a secluded inlet of still water.  Perhaps mists and fog gather there and it’s a place for lovers to sneak away and meet, or perhaps it could be more sinister and the scene of a murder where a body lies in the murky depths waiting to be discovered.




Or maybe it could be more ordinary than that with a small cabin perched on the banks where a widow, or widower, sits to drink their morning tea while looking out over the calm water.  Perhaps there are marshy plants growing there and seabirds perched with thin legs in the muddy depths.




At any rate, this word has always fascinated me since the time I took a writing class years ago in California and my instructor had an estuary in her short story.


Are there any words that hold an air of mystery to you?

8 comments:

  1. The pictures here are so nice. When I see these pictures I think of the lady of the lake but one that is beautiful but brings men to their doom and lives in those murky depths. I wish I could think of a word that brings mystery but my brain cells are not fully loaded yet...if ever:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birgit,

      That's good, the lady of the lake bringing men to their doom. I like it.

      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. Estuary would be a fun place to visit. So relaxing I think. Only word I can think of this morning is bog; that would be another mysterious place :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty,

      Bog is definitely an interesting word. It brings to mind Ireland and Scotland for some reason. Maybe I've read too many books set in those places where fog roles in over the bog or marsh.

      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  3. No words that hold mystery for me. At least, none I can think of at the moment. Those pictures are great. If that's an estuary, I think I want to go and hang out at one right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz,

      I know. The pictures look relaxing, don't they?

      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  4. Love the pics and yes fascinating areas for sure. I love those in between places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna,

      So do I. Thanks for stopping by my A to Z.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni