I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Orioles are eating us out of House and Home.


First there were two



I’m so glad to have this big hummingbird feeder this year because we have quite the flock of orioles around – more than we’ve had in the past.  They used to suck the small feeder dry in a couple of days.  This big once holds four-plus cups of nectar.  The only drawback is that it’s very hard to put back together after you clean it because you can’t see to line up the little notches that hold it.




Then there were three



 And then four females - I was thinking it was the girls day out.


 And then the male showed up

We go through lots of sugar feeding these birds, but they’re so colorful to watch.  They’ve been hanging out in our trees and dipping down for a drink all through the day.





 Here are the girls taking a dip in the birdbath

Another thing I find astounding is the orioles and the hummingbirds can drink this nectar hot.  They have no problems sharing the feeder.  It got low the other day and this oriole came to sit on the patio chair and stared at me through the window, as if telling me I needed to fill the thing up.  Usually, the hummers do this.


Here's the female scolding me

These birds are fascinating and fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni