I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Monday, April 30, 2018

Z is for Zirconia



Most of you know this as synthetic diamond and probably a few of you have some of these gems at home.  They are sparkly and beautiful and can be almost any color.

It may surprise you to know that the main use of zirconia is in the production of ceramics as in dentistry.  It’s used in reconstruction, such as crowns or bridges.  Stabilized zirconia is used in oxygen sensors.  It also has potential applications as an insulator in transistors.


A brilliant cut cubic zirconia - pic courtesy of Wikipedia

When used in jewelry it has a high index of refraction and the same crystal structure as diamond.  It’s very difficult to determine the difference of a diamond and zirconia by visual testing alone.  A thermal conductivity test needs to be performed.  Diamond is a good thermal conductor where zirconia isn’t.

2 comments:

  1. I did not know that about zirconia. Believe it or not, I managed to break two ceramic crowns while my dentist was trying to install them (she said "bite down," I bit down and CRUNCH! My guess is zirconia isn't quite as hard as diamond).

    Congratulations on finishing the Challenge! I enjoyed your entries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      Well that is quite a story about the crowns. I haven't heard of anyone breaking them before. Indeed, this must not be hard as diamond.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni