I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Thursday, April 26, 2018

W is for Wulfenite


Wulfenite - pic courtesy of Wikipedia

This is found in tabular crystals with bright orange-red or yellow-orange color.  It’s found in many localities associated with lead ores.  In fact, the yellow form is sometimes called “yellow lead ore.”  Its also a secondary ore of molybdenum and is sought by collectors.

Wulfenite - pic courtesy of Wikipedia

Wulfenite was first discovered in 1845 in Austria and is named for Austrian mineralogist, Franz Xavier von Wulfen.

Wulfenite - pic courtesy of Wikipedia

Different colors of wulfenite seem to be found in different mines.  In Arizona the crystals are deep red in color.  In Mexico they’re thick tabular orange crystals and in Slovenia they’re yellow.  In 1997, the crystal was depicted on a stamp by the Post of Slovenia.


It’s soft and brittle and probably better as a crystal specimen instead of a candidate for jewelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni