I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Q is for Quartz




Quartz from Tibet - pic courtesy of Wikipedia

Quartz is the second most abundant mineral in Earth’s continental crust, behind feldspar.  There are many different varieties of quartz, several of which are semi-precious gemstones.  Since antiquity, varieties of quartz have been the most commonly used minerals for making jewelry and carvings.

Pure quartz is colorless and transparent.  The other colors of quartz are mixed with other minerals.  This colored quartz are semi-precious stones for making jewelry and other decorative pieces.

Amethyst - pic courtesy of Wikipedia

There are many varieties of these, but I’ll just mention a few.  Purple quartz is amethyst.  The largest deposit is found in Brazil.  Amethyst is formed when there is iron in the area.  

Citrine - pic courtesy of Wikipedia

Citrine is a variety of quartz that ranges from pale yellow to brown due to the ferric impurities.  Natural citrines are rare.  Most commercial citrines are heat-treated amethyst, or smoky quartz's.  Brazil is the leading producer of citrine.  Citrine has been referred to as “money stone” due to the superstition that it would bring prosperity.

Rose Quartz - pic courtesy of Wikipedia

Rose quartz is pale pink to rose red in color.  This is due to trace amounts of titanium, iron, or manganese.

A quartz crystal jug from the 16th century.  This piece is in the National Museum in Warsaw.  
Pic courtesy of Wikipedia

Quartz is very common in sedimentary rocks, such as sandstone and shale.  Quartz is a defining essential of granite.


Almost all of the quartz crystals used today in the electronics industry are synthetic.

2 comments:

  1. This has been an interesting series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      I'm glad you've enjoyed it. I wasn't going to participate in the challenge this year due to my schedule. I didn't know if I'd have time. Then I couldn't pass it up at the last minute, so I'm doing the minerals and gemstones because I'm a bit familiar with that and probably no one else is posting about that subject. I'm still way behind in reading blogs. That's troublesome, but I'm trying to catch up.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni