I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Thursday, April 12, 2018

K is for Kunzite




Kunzite is a pink to lilac gemstone.  The coloring is from trace amounts of manganese.  Some kunzite has been heated or eradiated to enhance the color for jewelry.

Kunzite pic courtesy of Wikipedia

It was discovered in 1902 so is relatively new in the world of minerals.  It gets its name from George Frederick Kunz who was the chief jeweler at Tiffany and Co at the time.  He was a noted mineralogist. 


Kunzite from Afghanistan courtesy of Wikipedia

Kunzite is found in Brazil, the US, Canada, Mexico, Sweden, Western Australia, Afghanistan and Pakistan.  The Duchess of Glouchester wears kunzite in her tiara and has a necklace made with this mineral.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni