I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

U is for Uranium


This is a metal that can be used in nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons.  Uranium can also be used as a dye for stained glass and pottery.  This was the main use until people found out it was radioactive. 

Uranium - pic courtesy of Wikipedia

Uranium is a dangerous substance.  It’s silver-gray and forms a black coating in the air.  Where there is uranium you will usually see the radioactive hazard sign.  This metal can be found all across the United States. 


There are many problems with mining and milling this metal.  Many workers are exposed to high levels of radiation.  Radon gas can be inhaled by miners underground.  Accidental releases from uranium mines can also be a hazard.  Many mines are abandoned today.  This is a good thing in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni