I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Does a Santa hat change anyone’s attitude?



Okay, guys, I guess I do way more thinking than I should about some things.  And heaven knows I’m way past my prime, but the last two weeks before Christmas we were allowed to wear a Santa hat instead of our usual food demo hat.  Naturally, wanting to get in the holiday spirit, a few of us took them up on this offer. 

Now we all know people get more ornery around the holidays simply because there are lines in all the stores, lots of traffic and a lot of the time they’re already sold out of what you went to the store to get.  Some people are just stinkers all the time, but I think this happens more during the holidays.  I decided I would evaluate the situation while wearing the Santa hat





I really think seeing this hat reminds people that it is Christmas and it’s supposed to be a time of cheer and goodwill toward all.  The hat seems to have an effect on people because I found I had a lot of more mellow customers and none of the ones who spew garbage on a normal day if things aren’t going their way.  This is such a positive thing when we have to serve the public for hours at a time, smiling, engaging them in conversation, and standing on our feet the whole time, not to mention cleaning up all the messes people make that they seem to be oblivious to.

The holidays seem to bring out the worst in mankind as well as the best.  And we certainly see some odd things, such as dumpster diving in Costco.  In this case I’m referring to the trashcans we have everywhere in the store.  It amazes me the things that people will do for a free sample of anything.  I would never pick through a trash can, but it happens.  We have to throw away samples that end up on the floor because, of course, we can’t serve that to anyone.  My coworker had to throw away a piece of chocolate and two young fellows wanted it so bad that they actually fished it out of the trashcan and then split it.  So not only was the candy on the floor, but also in the trashcan.  Now I don’t want to tell you what also ends up in the trashcans, so I’ll let you use your imaginations.  With this sort of behavior I’m surprised more people aren’t sick around here.

Sadly Christmas is over now and we’re back to the normal attire, but I’ve decided I would kill people with kindness for a while and see what effect that has on their attitude.  Sometimes you can’t help change anyone, but sometimes there a few you can.  That’s what I’m striving for because rude people get old very fast.

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas holiday and all of you are enjoying the last week of 2016.

6 comments:

  1. I can't imagine digging through a trashcan for a sample, but I guess each one to their own doing, right? It was a good observation you had about people when you were wearing your Santa hat. I know the weekend before Christmas at the grocery store we sometimes frequent, some of the cashiers/workers were wearing festive hats. It did make me feel more festive seeing that going on. Wonder if it makes people spend more money?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that trashcan diving was a first for me at work. I wonder how often that happens.

      I don't know if people spend more money when they're feeling more festive or not, but that would be an interesting study. I think people are definitely nicer if they're in the holiday spirit.

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. They dug through a trash can for a free sample? Weird.

    If you subscribe to the law of attraction idea, then you'd already be of the opinion that being nice brings nice to you. You'll have to tell us how this works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz,

      I know all about the law of attraction. I'll write a post later about how things are going with my experiment.

      As far as the trashcan and the sample, it's a true story. There are some strange people out there among us.

      Sunni

      Delete
  3. Great observation about the Christmas hat, Sunni. I admire your decision to be kind. You can't go wrong with being kind and patient with people. Even if some don't appreciate your kindness, God will smile down on you. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vashti,

      Well I hope so because we get very few smiles out of the customers. Most are there to eat and they want it now. Kind of sad, but I'm still trying to kill them with kindness.

      I hope your holidays were great!

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni