I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Cold Season is upon us


I’m not one who gets sick very much either and now I have hubby’s cold.  I’m so disgusted by that and am a terrible patient I’m sure because I hate to be sick, really hate it.




Yesterday I had a rough day at work.  I was supposed to do popcorn and instead ended up right outside the dairy door doing potato soup.  I might add the dairy is the coldest spot in our store, aside from probably the meat room, but we never have to work in there.  Thank goodness.  I’ve done soup many times and did my best to serve up over 700 samples of hot potato soup.  I couldn’t smell it, or taste it, but everyone said it was wonderful.  I was so thankful I had gone to work in four layers of clothing and insulated socks, just in case.  We’ve played some “musical chairs” with demos lately so I really have to think about the worst case scenario when getting ready for work.

By the time I left work yesterday, I could hardly talk I was so stuffed up.  I was very happy to have a day off today and it was really needed so I could stay inside and medicate myself and do my best to get to feeling better because I do the next six days straight at my job.

Hubby went into work today to do lunch breaks.  He called a minute ago to tell me I’m doing beef tips tomorrow.  Wonderful!  I’m in the deli area again, but at least not by the diary door.  I’ll be in a spot about ten feet away instead.  This is a popular dish that I’ve never done before but it’s like a beef stew that you heat in the microwave and cut up and then serve in little cups with forks.  I hope I’m feeling up to the task as its holiday season and everyone we have is working.  I’m not one to disappoint so will do my best as always.

Last night I was up every four hours to take another shot of Nyquil.  I’m doing the same today, plus taking extra Vitamin C and also Colostrum, an herb for the immune system.  I’ll kick this thing out fast, I hope, or I’ll be very miserable at work for the next week.


I hope everyone out there is staying well.

6 comments:

  1. So sorry you are sick! Hard to be sick and work the grueling schedule you do with the samples you have to get ready, etc. At the very first sign of a sickness (dry throat, muscle ache) I start medicating myself with TONS of vitamin C. Line 10-15 vitamin C tablets of 500 mg each over a course of several hours. It works if I catch it in time not to go into a full blown illness. I do need to get a flu shot this year. I'm not an advocate of them, but it is recommended if you are caring for a wee one and there are days I care for a wee one.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty,

      I'm not an advocate of the flu shot either so never get one. I just don't trust what might be in them and they supposedly use the strains from last year's virus to make the shots and who knows if the same thing will come around again? I guess I'd rather rely on vitamin C and herbs if I can. Usually I can catch the situation in time and haven't been sick in quite a few years. I think my mistake wasn't upping my vitamin C when hubby first got his cold. I should have known better. I'm a real believer in vitamin C and have taken it since my teens to ward off colds. It does work. Needless to say, I'm taking a lot of it now so hopefully I'll get rid of this sooner.

      I do understand you don't want to be sick around your grandchild. You probably won't get sick if you keep up the Vitamin C ritual. I try to do doses of 8 500 MG tablets three-four times daily for two-three days and then cut back.

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. So sorry you're sick. If misery loves company, you'll be glad to know I've got a bit of a head cold today myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz,

      I made the mistake of going to work yesterday and was in the coldest spot in the store all day. I was shivering when I got home and I had four layers of clothes on! I had a temp of 102 so just went straight to bed. I called in sick today but am planning on going to work tomorrow. This is nasty stuff. Stay warm.

      Sunni

      Delete
  3. I survive by taking a lot of Emergen"C", otherwise I catch everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,

      I'm rarely ever sick with anything, even though the winters here are pretty cold "knock on wood." I take so many vitamins that nothing would dare attack me ( I thought) and always tons of vitamin C in the winter (more than in summer). I think my downfall was standing outside the dairy door all day doing a demo. It's the coldest spot in the store (even in the summer it's hard to work there without a sweater). I think that did me in because my husband brought a cold home two weeks ago and I never got it. I doubled up on everything then and had stayed well. I think shivering there all day did me in. I told my boss I can't work there again until after I'm well and would still prefer not to in the winter. We'll see. It's pretty sad when four layers of clothes won't even do it for you, but wearing our hair up all the time doesn't help either because your neck is always exposed to that cold.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni