I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Elm Farm Ollie

Courtesy wikipedia

Oh my!  I never heard this story before.  I like weird news and here you have it.  Elm Farm Ollie was the first cow to fly in an airplane and also be milked mid-flight with her milk sealed in paper containers dropped by parachute over St. Louis.  This happened on 18 February 1930.  According to the article this cow was a prolific milk producer that required milking three times a day.  She produced 24 quarts of milk during the 72 mile trip.  No wonder they had enough to drop over St. Louis!

Scientists wanted to conduct this experiment to see how air travel affected animals.  I wonder how many cows have flown since.

If you’d like to read the story, click here for Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni