I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Friday, April 25, 2014

V is for Birds Flying in V-formation



We used to see this on the farm every spring and fall as the geese flew over our heads on their way either north or south depending on the season.  We would hear their quacking and run outside to see them flying over in large groups.  I’m sure most of you have seen this where you live.  I swear it seems like everything was an event on the farm because we sure too notice of nature and all that was around us.

From ibtimes.con

The birds fly in V-formation because birds are smarter than you realize.  They sync themselves together carefully positioning their wingtips so as to catch the updraft from the bird in front and to the side of them.  This practice saves energy.  If you think about this, it makes perfect sense.  They would be tuckered out by the time they reached their destination miles and miles away from where they started their flight.  There was a study done on this by scientists and printed in Nature magazine.

It’s estimated the birds use 20-30 percent less energy flying in V-formation.  They have to remain careful and aware of their neighbor at all times.  No one knows how they decide on the course and how the leader picks to appropriate place to start.  Birds seem to be smarter than you think.  Their survival depends on it.

4 comments:

  1. I've heard that one before...it's pretty amazing, how they sync up like that. More amazing than much of the technology we use today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie,

      It is amazing that birds are able to do this to save energy. I've even seen swarms of starlings doing it around here. There will be hundreds if tiny birds all flying and undulating in the sky in ever-changing patterns. They fly swiftly and never run into each other. It's quite a sight to watch.

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. Like drafting in a Nascar race or cycling race. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sydney,

      I've never thought of comparing it to racing or cycling, but you're right. I imagine it's the same principle.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni