I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

B is for Barn





All of us loved to climb the hay bales in the barn and would get in trouble if caught doing it.  Papaw (Daddy’s father) would tell us there were skunks in the barn to keep us out, and after that, my sister Scherri thought she saw one once, but this didn’t deter us.



Barn similar to what we had on farm



 That old weathered barn with the big double doors drew us in.  Once inside, the rich smell of hay filled our noses and we would run and climb upon the golden bales and run across them.  They were all neatly stacked in rows of varying heights, some of the rows rising up to the peak of the roof.  There was loose hay scattered about the floor that had fallen out at sometime in the past.  The hay would make us itch and sneeze, but it was a favorite place to play.  We loved to chase each other across the bales.



On a large nail by the door, just inside the barn, hung the rope that the men used to tie around the bales along with the big hook for lifting the bales and a pitchfork or two.  Whenever we needed rope for something this is the first place we would go.  We would make jump ropes, or tie the rope around two tin cans to make a telephone.  This large ball of rope was handy for whatever childhood project came to mind.  Of course, the twine was off limits, as was the barn, so we got in trouble if the adults found us in there.  Nevertheless, we took our chances and went to the barn a lot.

18 comments:

  1. Nice blog, and beautiful pictures of barn and cat! I look forward to more posts. Nice to connect & follow through A to Z
    http://aimingforapublishingdeal.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charlotte,

    Thanks for stopping by. I'll check out your post. So fun meeting all these new people on the A to Z.

    Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hun and for the follow - off to work but I will pop back soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sunnie, Nice pictires and I am glad to know about the barn as we don't have barns in my place :)

    ~ Stri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stri,

      You don't have barns? You missed a great place to play as a kid.

      Sunni

      Delete
  5. I can almost smell those hay bales, you described it so vividly. I felt like I was right there with you as you gave the grand tour! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. I can still smell the hay thinking back to those days.

      Sunni

      Delete
  6. The description of the fun and frolic among those hay bales is so evocative! What memories you must have :)

    Shailaja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shailaya,

      Thanks for reading and your comment. We had a lot of fun as kids. We always found something to get into.

      Sunni

      Delete
  7. A nostalgic childhood. I too have such memories! Really wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shesha,

      I'm glad you have fond memories as well. Thanks for reading.

      Sunni

      Delete
  8. I loved that picture.... and the post too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheethal,

      Thank you. I borrowed that pic off the net, but our barn was similar.

      Sunni

      Delete
  9. I would have played in the barn too. I never had the opportunity to be around such places when I was a youngster, but I think I would have loved it.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee,

      I know you would have loved it. We spent hours in there when we got the chance. :)

      Sunni

      Delete
  10. You're bringing back so many memories for me with your posts. I still love old barns and makeshift swings. :)

    Random Musings from the KristenHead — B is for 'Believe' (and Behold the Beguiling Beauty of the Beach)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen,

      Glad to bring back pleasant memories. I love old barns too. When I see one today, I think about us playing in the hay as kids. Good times.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni