I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Around the Neighborhood

From Parade of Homes Website


From Parade of Homes Website



From Parade of Homes Website


From Parade of Homes Website


Every February our city hosts the Parade of Homes here, so naturally that brings in many visitors. I’m sure businesses around town are happy for the additional revenue, but the traffic is a nightmare during this period. Going anywhere is about like when you go out during holiday time.


The purchase of a $12.50 ticket allows you to see the 26 homes on display. They are definitely something to see, if only to get ideas for decorating and such. Many of them are way over my budget, but I am always amazed at what I find. It seems all the builders try to outdo each other. Some of these homes are so elaborate, I’m not sure the common person could live in them, and use half of the things available.

Most years, we usually go and visit a few of them. This is a situation because it inevitably rains part of the time and finding a parking place is near to impossible because there are so many visitors to each home. Naturally, you have to remove your shoes and carry them with you, or take the time to put on “booties” that are provided at the door. Once inside, there is usually standing room only, so it takes quite awhile to get through each house, as you wait to wait for people to leave so you can get in the rooms. We always take the camera though and try to get a few pics of some of the oddities.

My little sister in New York enjoys my stories about all this and hearing about the spectacle every year.

There are certain things I will never forget from years past, such as the bowling alley in the basement of this one huge home, or the “cave” complete with waterfalls and climbing rocks for the kids in the basement of another. Then there was one with a stone meandering walkway. This ended up at a Grecian swimming pool, or perhaps something like you’d see in Rome with tall-lighted torches all around and carved statues. They told us the torches ran off natural gas, leaving me to wonder how much that would increase your gas bill.

I must also not forget to mention the master bath that had a pond around it with goldfish swimming around. They wouldn’t last long with my cats in the house. There was also one that had a bed frame made of tree limbs decorated with colorful ornaments. Every year is certainly and adventure and a feast for your eyes.

If anyone is interested in any of this, I am including a link to the website here, so you can look at the homes online. Prices this year range from $303,900.00 to $2,699,500.00

3 comments:

  1. Sunni,
    You have a wonderfully easy writing style that invites the reader into your thoughts as well as your home. I enjoy reading your stories told through your unique perspective. Thank you for sharing your gift.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheshire Cat

    What a nice thing to say. You have really made my day. Thank you for reading my ramblings and posting. I'll check out your site.

    Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  3. MUST READ: HOW I GET CURE OF HERPES WITH HERBAL MEDICINE!
    I was diagnosed of Herpes disease in 2013 and I have tried all I can to get cured but all to no avail, my life was gradually coming to an end, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal doctor from Africa who prepares herbal remedy to cure all kind of diseases including Herpes disease, at first i doubted if it was real but with much pressure i decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal doctor via his email, he prepared an a herbal remedy and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal remedy, i called him and he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, After i applied it as instructed, i was cured of this deadly disease within 14days of usage, I am now free from the deadly disease, all thanks to Dr Lucky. email drluckyherbalcure@gmail.com or inbox him on whatapp +2348154637647
    Good luck…

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni