I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Shout out for the Best Rock and Roll Band of all Time

Pic Courtesy of Photo Bucket

Okay people, this is very different than most of my posts, but I had to write this up because this is really the truth, as I see it. What prompted this post was a concert I watched on TV on Dec 1 – the Rolling Stones live during the Steel Wheels tour in 1991 performing in London, Berlin, and Italy. A friend in CA called me to tell me it was on and to tune it, saying it was fantastic, and he knows I like the Stones. I’m glad he did call me because I had no idea this was on. I don’t watch a lot of television and usually not concerts. This show didn’t disappoint me, but the Stones never do.

The Rolling Stones - Public Domain

I’ve seen them live three times so far. The first time was 1972, the last time was 1998, and they hadn’t changed at all. I was shocked and not let down in any way, which is a good thing because my husband had never seen them perform, ever, and I really wanted him to. For me, it was worth standing in the rain for two hours. This is because the crowd in San Diego was so excited that if you wanted to see anything you had to stand up. They didn’t have a venue big enough for all the people wanting to go to the concert, so they held it outdoors at the stadium and put on two shows. Of course, this was in February, hence the rain and it was rather chilly as well, especially after you got soaked, but I just went home and took some extra Vitamin C for awhile and we were both fine. I learned that early on from all my wild jaunts in the rain to watch concerts in the wintertime.

We had to stand in line for over an hour for tickers the week before the show. Actually, I did that, my husband is not happy about standing in line at the grocery store, much less to obtain concert tickets.

What made this concert even more fantastic was that the Stones kept performing in the rain the whole time, running around jumping everywhere from one end of the stage to the other, even down long ramps that extended into the audience. They had such a grand lightshow going on that I was afraid somebody could possibly be electrocuted, or slip right off those ramps in the rain and break something, but thank goodness, that didn’t happen.

Yes, in my younger days I used to be quite the concertgoer, waiting in line for tickets, sometimes for hours. During that time, I was really into rock and roll music; I still am, but usually listen to calmer things these days, unless I’m in a wild and crazy mood. Even though I’m from TX, I don’t care for western music and never listen to it, if I can help it.
Mick Jagger - Public Domain

Now, I do have to confess that, besides about every big band performing in the 60’s and 70’s, I have been to a Willie Nelson concert and it was good. However, the thing that stands out about the Rolling Stones is all that energy and enthusiasm; you really get your money’s worth because those guys can perform two hours straight going non-stop. Not only do they put on a great performance, but also the guitar playing by Keith Richards is some of the best I’ve ever heard and Mick Jagger has to be the best showman around, prancing from one end of the stage to the other while he belts out their tunes.
Keith Richards - Public Domain

That is why it is so great going to one of their concerts. These guys don’t just stand around and strum guitars; they really get into the tunes big time and evidently love what they do. They are an inspiration because they are still going strong after fifty years of performing together. I think that is so awesome and such an encouragement to me that you can still get out there and do what you love to do as you age. How many of us could put on a performance like that at 70?

The old saying “finding what you love to do, and you won’t work a day in your life” must be true.

I realize that this may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but in my book, it definitely deserves a mention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni