Creative Commons Attribution Share - Wikipedia
20 Things That Make You Age
I read this on a blog a few months ago and wanted to reflect on it later, so I jotted down the list, which joined the rest of the stuff stuck to the wall behind my desk. I’m an impulsive note taker. At least that isn’t on the list below.
Old age…This is inevitable if we live long enough.
Have you ever thought about comparing the rings of a tree with your body? You can tell the age of the tree by the rings – we all know that – one of the things we learned as kids. Of course, it’s good not to meet our demise too young, but we don’t; want our bodies to look like the old tree or fence post.
Imagine how great it would be if we could know everything, we know now, but have the body we had when we were twenty years old.
Of course, that is not going to happen, unless you’re maybe one of the characters in my fantasy books. So, don’t get too excited because we can’t turn back the clock, but we can help things a little by knowing what will age us.
20 Things That Age You
No one wants to feel the effects of aging, but it is a fact that doing the things on this list will negatively affect the condition of the body and bring about rapid aging. Not only will the body feel older, but it will also look older. Let’s look at this list.
1. Smoking cigarettes, pipes and cigars.
2. Drinking alcohol, especially too much of it.
3. Indulging in drugs.
4. Getting too much sun.
5. Breathing polluted air.
6. Being generally overweight.
7. Having belly fat even if no other part of you is fat.
8. Having high blood pressure.
9. Being a couch potato which means you aren’t getting enough exercise.
10. Feeling stressed. Having stress. Being TOO STRESSED!
11. Not getting enough sleep.
12. Getting too much sleep.
13. Eating too much sugar.
14. Not eating fruits and vegetables every day.
15. Eating too much saturated fat.
16. Poor dental health.
17. Prolonged inflammation in the body.
18. Not getting enough omega-3 fatty acids.
19. All work, no play makes you dull and unhealthy. That’s a double whammy!
20. Not having enough sex. You knew that would be on the list.
What a list! Wow! Did you expect to see all that stuff?
Remember the words of George Burns
“You can’t help getting older, but you don’t have to get old.”
So, how many of the things on this list are you guilty of? I can list five, so there is room for improvement in my life, if I don’t want to look or feel my age. I want to live up to my grandmother’s standards here and not get old until I have to. She always kept a positive attitude in life and I think that goes a long way toward all that we do.
So how many are you guilty of doing?