I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Changes

clipart



This is a scary word, isn’t it?  But most of us are used to changes happening in life and have seen a few if we’ve lived very long.  Sometimes they can leave us stunned and surprised, or sometimes filled with sorrow even though it’s expected.  The problem with the unexpected is we don’t know when that ax will fall, or the shoe will drop.




I got hubby from his cataract surgery on Monday.  When he was settled, I went to get a prescription at the pharmacy in our workplace.  I was met by fellow coworkers who were in different states of grief, anger, sorrow, or disbelief, as they all related to me that our beloved boss of seventeen years had been fired that very morning.  I was shocked too, although I expected this for quite a while now because there was a real personality conflict between her and the new regional manager that had been brewing going on two years.  I probably spent way too much time consoling employees, but this was a big deal and still is.  No one’s job is safe at this point and everyone there is on egg shells and, of course, wondering what we can do to reverse the situation.  I couldn’t help but wonder if the regional manager took the coward’s way out and informed our boss by email, or text, because it was her day off.  I prefer to think he met her someplace and discussed this face-to-face.  But I’m sure we’ll never know all these details.



 It's hard to stay quiet when your insides are screaming at the injustice of recent events.

Right now we're all looking for the positive and hoping we'll find it.

 
One gal was to the point of tears because this boss was like a second mother to her.  Our boss was strict but fair in her dealings with us.  She knew all of us so well without us having to tell her this or that.  I feel so bad that she’s gone when she needs this job to survive.  As we all know it’s hard for older workers to get hired at companies.  Of course I was ready to go home and throw things, or step out into the desert for a good scream.  I believe it’ll be quite a while before everyone is over this.  It’s not going to help matters that we’ll all be seeing way too much of the regional manager in the coming days and weeks.  My gut feeling is that he’ll eventually bring in an outsider to manage us, but we’ll see.  The job is supposedly open to anyone who wishes to apply.



 I guess this is our dear boss now.  She had a contagious laugh and now all that is gone.
 
So work has lost its pizazz and fun in the blink of an eye.  Now it’s just a job like any other.  Go there, put in your time, mind your own business, be acutely aware of protocol and get your paycheck, nothing more.  Before we were always family, but all of us still respected the boss and were eager to abide by her rules and do the job to the best of our abilities for her.  I’m sure before all this over; we’ll be losing more of our “work family” by either them resigning, or given their walking papers.



 I do believe in karma so it may take a while, but Karma will step in eventually and make amends in some way.  The way people are treated is important so we should do our best to remember that at all times.
 
I don’t know what the future holds for any of us.  I’m still working there, so I can’t give any more details than that at this time.  At some upcoming time I intend to write about my experiences doing this job.  I think it would make fascinating reading for some of you that have no idea what this kind of work is like.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your boss, Sunni. I went through a similar experience some years ago, so I can relate. It does feel like grieving. I hope it gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vashti,

      Yes, it was very sad for most of us. If the gal who wants it gets picked it will be the "inmates running the asylum" if you know what I mean. She's an air head and just doesn't get it enough to stay on top of stuff. I would apply but am to old to get into that sort of situation again, although it has occurred to me to apply anyway.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni