I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Fond Memories of the Hay Meadow


Yes that is what comes to mind when Easter rolls around.  I guess we probably had a different childhood than most people.  We grew up on a farm and things were very tight when you tried to raise a family of seven on a farmer’s income.  I’m not sure how my parents managed it at times.

But we had plenty of chickens and would color eggs before Easter.  Somehow my dad always managed to find the money to get a package of that La Paz Easter egg dye every year.  We would mix the different colors in cups or bowls and then “ooh” and “aah” as we moved the eggs around with a spoon until they were just the right color. You can imagine the five of us girls crowded around a small kitchen counter to do this.  My two brothers weren’t all that interested in coloring eggs.

On Sun rnorning we would all pile into the old pink and white station wagon and my parents would drive us all down the road to the hay meadow to look for eggs.  At some point daddy must have gone out to hide them in the clumps of hay.  He was always gone tending the crops so we probably thought nothing of him leaving the house.  He would get a couple packages of those candy eggs too to mix in with the bunch of chicken eggs we colored and all of us kids would squeal with delight as we stumbled over each other to get out of the car and attack the hay meadow.  You have to understand we never did much at all growing up, so this was definitely an event.

That afternoon we would sit around and look at our treasures as we ate the stuff and “oohed” and “aahed” again at all the beautiful colors.  We rarely had any sweets either so we gorged ourselves on those sweet eggs and practically got sick every year, but it was worth it.  That stood out as a high point in our lives growing up. We still talk about it today as adults.

I guess it’s a good thing that hay was never harvested until after Easter.  It gave us kids something to look forward to every year. There was certainly no other place on the farm to hide Easter eggs.  That spot was perfect.

1 comment:

  1. haha!
    You said it better in your post than I did on my blog! What memories those were!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni