I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Irresponsible people and other issues


Sometimes life can be one problem after another, as I’m sure most of you are aware.  Living in this state has been a learning experience for sure.  I’ve never lived in a place that is home to so many irresponsible people.  I’m beginning to think that the only thing about the state of Utah is the magnificent scenery.  But does this alone make up for all the other problems here?

Getting a contractor to come out for anything we can’t take if ourselves is nearly impossible.  We are trying to get our home ready to sell and there are some regular maintenance issues to take care of before we put the sign up.  The contractors have been this way since we moved here in 2004.  They make appointments to come out for something and then never show up or have the courtesy to call and cancel the appointment.  It’s impossible to get anyone on the phone, so it usually takes days to make an appointment in the first place; hence, we do most things ourselves.  Unfortunately, we can’t do some things.

Sunni's Photo's - Sand blocks out everything

As stated earlier this state has a lot of issues, many more than just the people living here who are in service jobs.  The air quality and water quality is very poor, if you ask me.  The wind blows a lot.  When it does, the sky fills up with read dirt.  This is a bit worrisome because this state was downwind from all the bomb testing carried on in Nevada in the 1950’s.  I think that’s why many people living here come down with cancer.  A lot of the obits in the local paper are for young and old people who’ve died from this disease.  It takes many years for all the radioactivity to dissipate, if it really does.
From Sunni's Photo's New Filter on left - Old on right
Along with this is the water quality, which the officials say is within government standards and not a concern.  If that’s the case, the standards need to be updated and tightened up.  I pity the poor people who drink water from the tap around here.  We have a whole house water purifier and a separate R/O system for drinking water.  You should see the filters when we change them in the R/O system.  They are loaded with red dirt and are very heavy.  We even took a used filter down to show the city officials who brushed us off.

On top of all that, it’s about impossible to get even a part time job here because you are shunned unless you’re part of the dominate religion.  All jobs go to those people first.

Unfortunately, the weather is another downside.  The desert is a harsh place with its temperature extremes.  I feel so bad for all the little critters living here that have to adapt or die.  At least we’ve done our part by always supplying them with water and food when there’s nothing growing in the desert for them to eat.  I hope the next homeowners here will at least make sure all these animals have water.  They have entertained us with all their antics over the years.  It’s like living in the middle of national geographic in our back yard because our house backs up to the desert.

So yes, after giving this a nine-year shot, I think the scenery is the best thing this state has going for it.  It’s definitely a photographer’s and a hiker’s paradise.  Almost everywhere you look is another magnificent rock formation that astounds you.

On another note, we’re trying to weed stuff out and organize ourselves to move, which won’t happen now until spring, so unfortunately we’re here for another winter.  It’s time to psyche myself up with the old saying that “things could be worse”.

The garage is full of crap to go through, but I figure I can put on my sweat pants and work on that project all winter.  At least we had the common sense to insulate it when we built the house in 2004.  I hate the cold and of course, we’re still having the debate of where to move.  I’m going south and my husband wants to go north.  We’ll see what happens with that.
My sick baby - Comet

We’re still medicating the cat who will be fifteen tomorrow.  The poor thing has such a stopped up nose and this has been going on since early September.  Giving her the new liquid medicine twice a day has been a challenge.  My husband says, “Why do they have to make animal medicine that taste like bubble gum, why not chicken gravy?”  He has a point.  We’re wrapping her tightly in a towel, like a burrito, to give her this liquid – sadly there’s no pill popper for this.  She’s slowly shredding this towel.  I imagine it’ll be a rag once this is over.
From NaNo website

With all this on my plate, I’m signing up for the NaNo again this year.  I’m crazy to do this I know, but I love writing and may as well.  After all, 1667 words a day isn’t all that much.  It’ll be a nice break to let my imagination run wild once a day.

Now for some strange news in time for Halloween:
Many radio listeners thought that aliens were invading us, on October 30, 1938, when they tuned into Orson Welles' broadcast of War of the Worlds. As part of the realistic radio play, an announcer interrupted a dance orchestra to describe a crash in a farmer's field, and then later he warned of creatures with tentacles inside giant attack machines. The public went into a panic--it's estimated that as many as one million people believed a real invasion was underway.

Free Clipart

Happy Halloween everyone!  I may be posting only once a week for a while with so much going on in my life, but I’ll do it more if I can.

Note:  I'll upload photos when I can.  This seems to be having trouble that they haven't worked out yet.

4 comments:

  1. so are you going to stay in Utah? You could always opt for another state!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,

      Thanks for stopping by. I'm not staying in Utah. That I know for sure. I've lived in five states already so I guess I get 45 to choose from - just kidding. Some I would never care to live in. I'm going further south - exactly where is still to be determined. A lot of it depends on how my mom's tests come out. I may end up back in TX.. Right now I'm just getting rid of stuff, etc along with writing and taking care of my sick furry friend. It'll be spring before I can make a move but then I want to be ready. Probably won't put the house up for sale until Jan.

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. I don't know much about Utah other than having passed through it a few times. Can't see me ever moving there though. Hope you find a Shangri-la somewhere in the future. Have fun with NaNo. Not me this year.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,

      Thanks for stopping by. I never knew much about UT either before moving here nine years ago. It is very picturesque, but that's about the best it has going for it. To tell the truth, I have no idea where Shangri-la is. It probably doesn't exist.

      Yes, I'm crazy for doing NaNo again with all this stuff on my plate. I guess I like a challenge.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni