I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

More plants making a comeback

This Paloverde survived the winter
Sunni's Photo's

The palms weren’t the only thing that froze around here last winter. We had two Paloverde trees in our backyard and one of them died, or so we thought. My husband decided to cut the dead one off below the ground even though I wanted to give it a while longer to see if it would rejuvenate itself. So, we cut it up in April and put the pieces in the trash. He tied off the drip line and covered up the stump.

This Paloverde is making a comeback
Sunni's Photo's

Of course, we were shocked when we came back from San Diego a month ago to see it making a comeback. Apparently, it had been growing all this time under the ground to reach the surface. It was about six inches high when we arrived home and all this growth with no water. It didn’t take long for the chipmunks to discover it. In fact, I’m surprised it wasn’t eaten to the ground.

This is how we protected it when it was about 6 inches high
Sunni's Photo's

We erected a makeshift cover around it, the evening we arrived home, by using a piece of old chicken wire we had laying around on the side of the house. Naturally, this thing was stiff and rusty. In the process of surrounding the plant, a rusty barb stabbed me in the forearm. I have to wonder why I always hurt myself doing a project. It doesn’t pay to be too hasty with anything, but sometimes patience is not in the vocabulary.

After we completed the project, I came in and doctored myself with peroxide and Neosporin ointment. I did not intend to have to go and get a tetanus shot. Besides this was Friday night and the weekend was here. Everything had closed except the emergency room. I just kept my eye on the wound and kept it doctored and covered for a week. Since then I have healed up and I seem to be fine, so I guess everything is okay.

The plant now has the cover off because it is big enough that the chipmunks will leave it alone. It is actually a giant bush, having grown at least ten times its size already. This plant wants to live. There’s no doubt about that.

The rescued Elephant's Foot - It looks a bit like a person doesn't it?
Sunni's Photo's

Here is another one that wants to live. I’m so glad because this plant was a rescue from the trash when we lived in CA. This is an elephant’s foot and was very tiny when we saved it from its fate back in 1979. I would be sad to see it go after all these years.

I wrap this up every winter too, but this winter was a rough one. It lost all of its “leaves,” which look more like a horse’s tail than leaves. It takes a lot for me to give up on anything, so I watered this faithfully and it is finally growing. It’s going to be a one-of-a-kind plant that’s for sure and probably a conversation piece around here. When we lived in CA it was twice this height, but the top part got broken off in the trailer on the move to the desert. The poor thing has been through a lot.

I have to use great care with things here that aren’t desert natives. But care seems to pay off most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.