I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Friday, February 23, 2018

Action out back and other things



We knew this was likely to happen eventually.  Yet, we were shocked to see a drilling unit out back doing soil test samples.  I think I probably told everyone about the ATV and the guys back there a couple of weeks ago.  Hubby talked to them and they said they may purchase the property and were looking around.  They had permission, they said.  However, no motorized vehicles are allowed back there in the desert.  There are people who do disregard the signs and end up back there a time or two every summer.

A drilling rig taking soil samples and stirring up dust

The drilling rig has moved to the bluff behind the house

But then a few days ago a drilling rig showed up back there to take soil samples for testing.  We found out the property was sold to Entrata, which is home to the very ritzy developments around here.  This wouldn’t be a real bad thing as long as they don’t build up behind our house.  It’s way too damp back there and I think it would be pricey to bring it up to code for housing.  But sometimes that kind of stuff is ignored.  There’s an underground river that runs through this area.  The water table is very high.  There have been issues with some homes here due to water.  But we’re on the edge of that river, so our lot isn’t affected by this.  I think they must have filled in the exposed parts of the river years ago and then built there.  The team taking the samples said it was very wet and soft. 

We’re hoping the developer is smart and will give this property to the city so that it can stay nice like it is now.  There are wildlife living there and many walking trails that have been there for years.  I hate to see the landscape torn up and the critters disrupted from their homes.  The old lava beds can never be replaced.  It’s very sad that the big shots think we need more homes.  Time will tell what happens.  Otherwise, we’ll move I guess.  Where, I don’t know.

The drillers are still back there drilling holes and taking samples today, even though it was snowing earlier.  I hate that.  It’s so freakin’ cold.  I’m glad it didn’t last long and didn’t stick because it’s too wet from the ice rain we had earlier.  It’s about twenty degrees cooler than normal here.  Where are you spring?

On the work front, the last couple of weeks the new boss has been out for some major, unexpected surgery.  It’s such a nice stress-free zone and happy place right now.  We have that old vibe back.  She’s planning on coming back on the first, which is way too soon in my opinion.  But I guess she’ll find out for herself.  I’m going to try my best to work with this woman, but it’s difficult.  I really need a different job where I can dress the way I want and wear my jewelry and let my hair down.  I got to do a rare demo where I could do that yesterday (not the jewelry part, but the rest) and I got so many compliments.  I felt more normal and wasn’t the lunch lady.  Oh well…well see. 

Me in break room at work

Rules, rules and more new rules at work are all enough to handle.  Now the newest thing is removing our hats when on breaks and lunches.  Everyone is beside themselves because the store has operated just fine for the last seventeen years without us removing our hats.  So we’ve all got new hats to put on over our hairnets because who wants to walk around in a hairnet?  We all wonder what’s next.  How do you like my hat?  I may as well make a statement about how silly this is.


My Rolling Stones visor for breaks and lunches at work

Oh, drat, it’s snowing again!  Winter doesn’t want to go away this year.  If this keeps up, we’ll have snow on the ground tomorrow.  Yuck!

Snowing

Snowing

Snow in backyard


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni