I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Look who happened by



Living in the desert the way we do, one can get up close and personal with the critters around here and see things you may not normally see, especially if you’re an urban dweller.  I don’t think there’s a day that goes by that I haven’t taken at least a dozen pictures, many times its way more than that.

I thought I’d share a couple more desert inhabitants with you. 




 Coming into the yard from the desert
 
This is a jackrabbit.  We had them in the fields in Texas too, but we never saw one this close.  These guys come in the front yard all the time.  They munch on what’s left of my lawn, or find shade under the trees.



 Finding a spot under a tree


Preparing to stay a while
 
This looks like a young one.  They can’t get in the backyard because the whole area is walled and we have “poodle pickets” in the gates.  The smaller rabbits can still squeeze through around the hinges, or come in through the Y-block we have installed.  But that block is a life saver during rainy season.  Any excess water drains down the natural riverbed, we worked into the landscaping, and out into the desert.  Following the natural slope of the land is necessary if you live in the desert where possible flooding could occur.



 Desert toad on my patio
 
This next guy has to stay out of the heat, so these toads are nocturnal.  They can come out after sunset, but it’s usually later at night that I spot one or two on the patio.  They eat bugs and use the water dish as their private pool.  They’ll stay in there an hour at a time soaking up the water.  These frogs will dry up if they’re caught out in the sun.  Desert toads will spend most of their time in underground boroughs, or they’ll find a sanctuary under rocks.

I have neighbors who actually build toad houses for them.  The frogs have been known to move in and stay there for years, if they like it.  I’ve thought of doing this too because these toads are good for the environment, as they keep the bugs at bay.

Desert toad on my patio

You can make a toad house out of rocks, or an old terra cotta pot.  The important thing is to remember to leave the opening in a sheltered area (away from people and weather).  The “house” needs to be big enough for the frog to crawl in and out of comfortably.  It’s good to leave the bottom dirt, so digging a small indentation in the earth is ideal.  If using a terra cotta pot, cut it in half and then sink it into the sandy soil.  If this isn’t possible, bury part of the pot so only half of it is exposed.

If anyone is interested in building a toad house for your garden, click here for more information and instructions.

Okay, after writing this post to schedule, I got inspired and decided to go in search of the broken terra cotta pot we had lying around.  My husband more than likely threw it away because I couldn’t find it.  I keep more than he does, always looking at some discarded item as a possible craft project for later.

I was lucky enough to find a broken water pan so I decided to use that.  The problem I faced was the fact it was too shallow.  The red dirt here is hard to dig out, so I used some broken cement blocks and rocks as risers to lift the water pan up.  I still had to dig down some to make a nice damp spot for the frog to reside.

The next thing to do was deciding where to put the “house.”  Near a source of water is ideal, so my choice was under a honeysuckle vine that grows next to a wall and is about eight feet away from the water dish on my patio.  This spot is shielded by the wall and the vine and doesn’t face north.  In fact, it’s in the shade most of the time and is protected from winter snow and intense summer heat.  Perfect.



 My toad house
 
So I got on my garden gloves, took my knee pad and a small garden shovel and went to work.  It isn’t the coolest day in the world at 97 degrees here, making me thankful when the sun went behind a cloud for a moment or two.

As I worked, I heard the bells of the wind chime above my head bringing thoughts of my sister-in-law who would love to be here with me doing this.  She loved all animals and creatures.

My toad house

I robbed a few rocks from the riverbed in my backyard to put on top of my creation and on the sides so the entrance isn’t too exposed.  Now we’ll see if a frog finds it.  That’s the purpose, right?  I know they come to my patio all the time and go around the side of the house and under the gate to the front yard.  This house is just inside the gate, so they will have to pass it on their night excursions. 



 My toad house
 
Today is August 10 and I’m scheduling this to post on August 19.  I’ll let you know if I have a resident frog by then.  Stay tuned.

For me, it’s off to the shower now that I’m a sweaty pig.

6 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to hear if you have a frog friend. Nice little area you made for him/her to occupy :)

    We have the same type of bunnies here. They aren't too shy if you don't get too close to them. They too will eat the remnants of the bird seed that fall to the ground.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty,

      I think little goes to waste in the desert. I believe all the animals are appreciative of what they find in the way of food and shelter.

      I'll keep you posted on the frog situation, So far I have no inhabitants. But the frogs are on my patio almost every night.

      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I too want to know if frog found it. Around here we have ducks and geese and turtles. (I live near a water feature.) The ducks have been quacking a lot at night and in the early morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz,

      No frog yet, but I don't think the "house" is secluded enough. I need to cover in the front a bit more with more rocks because I think it's too open. I'll do that too, but it's been 110 the last two days and way too hot to go roaming about the yard to do that activity. I'll keep you posted.

      I didn't know ducks quack at night. I thought they roosted like chickens.

      Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  3. Hi Sunni! I've never seen a jack rabbit in its natural habitat. You're so lucky! That one's a beauty. What a big fat toad! Oh my goodness! I get a couple of toads here during certain times of the year but they're green and not that big. I love the little stone house you built for it. Is it living there yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vashti,

      The jackrabbit comes daily to sleep under that tree. I guess we're lucky we can see animals here you don't see in other places. The toads are that color so they fit into the landscape better. So far no one is living in the house. I'm hoping it will have an inhabitant someday soon.

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni