I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Major computer issues at the moment




Yesterday my laptop decided to crash.  It was working perfect the night before when I shut it down.  You never know about electronics.  I spent part of the day trying to get it rebooted but to no avail, so I had to call a computer geek a friend referred me to.  He’s coming tomorrow to look the situation over and run a diagnostics test to see if he can repair it.  It may possibly be a sector on my hard drive, but not the entire hard drive.  Does a hard drive have sectors and how many of them?  I never knew that.

If it is the hard drive, I may as well buy a new computer because he told me that it’s an extensive and costly repair because of the way the laptop is made.  I’m crossing my fingers this isn’t the case because I can’t afford that right now.

I can usually work my way out of most of this stuff that comes along, but I’m not that familiar with this, so we’ll see what happens.  Meanwhile, I had to drag out my desktop and dust it off and get it going again so I could get on the internet.  That took part of last night and today.  I hate electronics issues.

I also have issues with my desktop now because I took out Windows XP back in March or April and loaded on Windows 7 and then I started using the laptop because I wasn’t ready to spend the time to load all the programs, etc.  So today I loaded Word (so I can work on my book) and my program for the internet.  When I tried to punch in my key for Windows 7, it told me it had expired because I didn’t do it within thirty days.  What?  No one told me I only had a certain amount of time to do it.  Why isn’t there a message that comes on the screen to warn you about this?  So now I’m still able to get on the net by telling it to remind me later, so this is another issue for the computer guy to take care of.

I’m just can’t tell you how thankful I am that I back up all my files daily.  I got in the habit of doing that a few months ago instead of doing a once a week thing.  Please get in the habit of doing this because you never know when your hard drive may crash.  I back up my books, documents and photos to three places because I’m a bit paranoid and I figure all three won’t crash at once.  It’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to things that you can’t replace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni