I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Why do we hate flags and statues enough to destroy them?

Antietam Memorial Monument in PA courtesy Wikipedia


What’s going on today is really upsetting.  And police are standing by and watching throngs of stirred-up people destroying pieces of our history.  This makes no sense at all to me.  You can’t change history by getting rid of all these things, as if they never existed.  How foolish.

People harbor way too much hatred toward each other in our country.  Destroying all these statues make none of these vandals any better than the terrorist group, ISIS.  You cannot undo the Civil War.  Maybe we don’t all agree about what happened there, but it did happen.  We can’t throw temper tantrums over it.  That time is behind us.  We can move forward and try to live side-by-side and as equals regardless of skin color, religion, political views, opinions, etc.  Way too many people have been killed in wars, or murdered just because these things.  Killing and throwing tantrums won’t solve any problems.  I don’t know if the human race will ever learn this lesson.



 Confederate Monument in Alabama courtesy of Wikipedia
 
The confederate flag and statues of our forefathers and some war figures from the Civil War have stood proudly for over a hundred years in places around the south.  It’s very disturbing to see groups of haters forming for the sole purpose of destroying all these things.  No, it wasn’t right to enslave black people, or to deny rights to women, but all that has changed now.  I don’t see our monuments as racist.  I see them as reminders of our past and hopefully we’ve learned a lot since the Civil War days.  Although when I look around at all the hatred in our country, I don’t think all the blood that has been shed in all the wars has been enough to get through to some people who are bent on destroying our history just because they don’t agree with it.

I don’t know how you all feel about this, but it makes me sick.  Why can’t we all get along with each other?  Life is what you make it.  You can still have your views, opinions, religion, beliefs, etc., but let others have theirs as well.  It doesn’t mean you have to agree with them, but let’s stop all the killing and vandalism.

4 comments:

  1. It's not about the statues.

    Have you seen the HBO Vice News video? Perhaps it'll help explain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIrcB1sAN8I

    The statues were erected years after the Civil War, during the Jim Crow years as a way to frighten the African American population into remaining "in their place". As white people, we don't understand the hatred and fear that are given off by these symbols of those that fought a war so that they could keep their slaves.

    Various local communities have decided that these statues no longer symbolize who they are. So, as communities, they've decided to take them down. But again, this is not about the statues.

    The issue is with the groups that are coming out protesting the removal of the statues. Of course they have a right to protest. They have a right to speak their minds.

    The problem: they are Nazis. I am not kidding. I am not exaggerating. They are flag-carrying, weapons-wielding, hate-spewing Nazis. They're saluting. They're proud of it.

    This is the issue. Those that have taken up the "keep the statues" fight are Nazis. Don't defend Nazis. They are indefensible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz,

      I figured this post would stir up some controversy. I, however, don't think all the groups wanting the statues to stay are Nazis. I will watch the video link you posted, but I was raised in the south. I think we may have different views on this subject, but that's okay. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Thank you for sharing yours.

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. Everyone feels so different about this. I don't believe it's just about the statues, though. Or that those who want them to stay are all Nazis. I wish that things could be different, though. I really hate how divided we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrys,

      I hate how divided we are too. I also wish things were different and we could all get along somehow. I guess that probably won't happen though.

      Thanks so much for reading and stopping by. I've been very bad about posting lately due to some health issues and then I got caught up with my family who live in the Houston area. Thankfully, they all survived that storm. It could have been a lot worse for them.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni