I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

A Gutsy and Elusive Mockingbird

Mockingbird at water pan

As I’ve told everyone before, we have lots of wildlife and birds here.  Well we have one gutsy mockingbird that’s taken to hanging out in the backyard everyday.  He loves to torment the other birds and the snakes that come by for a drink.  Maybe he’s just bored, or maybe this is what mockingbirds do. 



 The snake had enough and  is going back to the desert

This snake came to drink from the water pan on the patio a couple of weeks ago and this bird wouldn’t leave it alone.  He hopped and flew at the snake until it finally slithered away back to the desert.  I got a pic of the snake but, like the title says, this bird is also elusive.  I’ve been trying to get shots of him daily and most of it is a waste of time as far as photos go.  Watching him is a whole other matter.  I love his chirping and crazy maneuvers.



 Mockingbird at birdbath

This little guy is so pretty with his showy white tail feathers.  He gets in the birdbath too and goes to town splashing away.  I haven’t been able to get a pic of that yet either.  The thing is he doesn’t stay put for long in one place.

Mockingbird

He torments the other birds too and is so much bigger that maybe he intimidates them when they come to the birdbath or the water dish.  I think this guy needs something to do besides flying from tree to tree and making the rounds of the nearby desert bushes.  I’m still trying for decent photos.  If I get any, I’ll post them later.

6 comments:

  1. When I first met me husband he had a cat that was outside most of the time ( I made her stay inside eventually), I remember a mockingbird chasing her- they are very pushy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pilch,

      Mockingbirds like to torment almost everything. They aren't afraid of much. This one hangs out in the backyard everyday. We have a lot of wildlife to keep it occupied. Last year we had three of them back there.

      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. That was one big snake! Not much wildlife to see here now thar we moved back to a big city. I do miss that part of living in Prescott.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty,

      Yes, we have some big snakes here. They usually come to drink and never bother us. The first few years we were here we never saw any at all, but they've been around for a while now. I would miss the wildlife too.

      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete
  3. Some birds can be so rude. Perhaps you should try taking video. Sounds like this one won't sit still for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz,

      Someday I'm going to try and take a video. This bird is all over the place. I actually feel lucky I've gotten any pictures of it.

      Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni