I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Waiting with baited breath



Birds hit our large windows all the time.  Lately they’ve bounced right off and flew away.  When we first moved here, I buried many birds in the backyard.  No fun at a hundred degrees.



 She's stunned after fluttering around in a circle flapping her wings.
To my horror, a female oriole hit the window the other day.  I was shocked and crossed my fingers she would be okay as I watched her flopping around trying to get her bearings.  I didn’t want to have to bury an oriole.  We don’t have that many and they’re so pretty.

This one is scary.  I didn't know what was happening.

She sat on the patio the longest time.  I was waiting for her to keel over because I thought something was probably broken.  I couldn’t take my eyes off her and got a few pics of her stunned state.



 Improving a tiny bit
Finally, I felt such a relief when she took off for the tree before flying home where she nests a few houses away.  Later a group of females came back to drink from the feeder.  I think she was probably with them, but it’s hard to know since they all look alike.  I hold the belief she was there and feasting after her ordeal.

Back on the feeder

4 comments:

  1. We have birds hitting the window too. The ones that are the loudest are the doves when they do so. There's even an imprint on the window of a dove's body/wings from when it hit (it was fine I think). We have only had one casualty so far of a sparrow that didn't quite survive hitting the window. I wish I knew what to put up so they wouldn't fly into them.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty,

      We've had many casualties around here since we moved in this house, We had a lot of birds hitting the windows at first and I buried many of them in the backyard. They always leave an imprint on the window glass.

      We've had big hawks drive them into the windows too as the birds scatter to get away.

      This is the first time an oriole hit. About three days later, she came and looked at me through the kitchen window and flapped her wings staring before she flew off. I think it was the same bird letting me know she was okay. She knew I was quite concerned.

      Thanks for reading,

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. Yikes, that is scary. Not much you can do when they fly into the window themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz,

      No we can't do much. I think the windows look just like desert scenery to the birds. I hate to see them hit though and aways hope they will get their wits and fly off. We've helped them sometimes by picking them up and putting them in a potted plant or in the landscaping. Usually they finally fly off after the daze wears off.

      Thanks for reading and your comment.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni