I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Saturday, September 8, 2018

You’re never too old to try something new

Me in a kayak for the first time


I had my first kayak experience about ten days ago.  My good friend and sister from another mother, (because we were born two hours apart on the same day and in the same year), had been after me coaxing me to try it.  I finally decided “why not?”  I felt nervous, but pretty safe as my girlfriend is a retired RN.  She also helps with “search and rescue" efforts in the area.

So I finally arrived at her house an hour late on kayak day because my biggest fault is always being late.  I swear I’d be late to my own funeral, except I won’t be in charge of getting me there then.

We met up with another experienced kayaker and “search and rescue” worker.  Once everything was unloaded and we were in our life vests, the three of us set out to enjoy Sand Hollow in our separate kayaks.  At first I was very nervous, as I can’t swim, but gradually relaxed as I learned how to use the oars to get me right and left and how to go forward and turn around. 

Me at Sand Hollow.  Rocks are all over like the ones behind me.  It's really beautiful.

Sand Hollow is actually pretty shallow.  It was clear enough to see trees and bushes growing in the bottom and there are rock formations all over so I had to paddle around them.  I didn’t run into them too many times.  It was a learning experience for sure.

I did learn a thing or two about oars too.  They come in different weights, shapes and sizes.  The one I started with was too heavy for me, so I traded for a lighter one and did much better.  I actually was having fun doing this and it was so relaxing once I got over my fright and realized I wasn’t going to turn the kayak over. 

However, I had no idea how to get out of the thing once we got back to the dock, so I fell into the water and hit my rear-end on the rocks.  I still have a sore bottom, but it’s getting better.  And since I was wet from that, my two companions took me by the hands and pulled me out to knee deep water and had me sit down so I could get it through my head that I would float if I ever did overturn the kayak, or fall overboard.  This was the worst part of the whole trip having to sit down and lift up my legs and then my arms, so I didn’t have a firm hold on anything.  They were there to rescue me though, otherwise I don’t know if I could ever do this by myself.

We ended up staying out there two hours.  My arms were very sore for a couple of days, but that quickly went away and I feel like I’m ready for my next trip.  It wasn’t so scary that I won’t do this again and actually probably more than one more time.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sunni! I love kayaking! Being from south Florida I learned to swim early and I love the beach, ocean and water sports. I imagine kayaking would be scary for someone that doesn't know how to swim though. It was very brave of you to try it. I commend you for that. Why don't you take swimming classes? It'll open up a whole new world for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful. I haven't been kayaking for a very long time but you've made think of it again!

    That's Purrfect
    Around My Kitchen Table

    ReplyDelete
  3. A healthy human needs to have both – a healthy body, as well as a healthy mind and we, aim to spread this simple message through this blog.
    We aim to provide knowledge, tools, and comfort to help individuals recover and lead a healthy, happy life.
    surviving spirits



    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your Experience with Eye Cataract Surgery. nice blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni